
I didn't know a lot about Lykke Li before checking out this show. I knew she had a very cool voice and a very good album called Youth Novels. I also knew she was from somewhere Nordic and her name sounded like a piece of furniture from Ikea. That was about it. I expected a little pixie chick to come on stage and shyly go through her mellow setlist. My mistake.
From the moment her tiny frame hit the stage in an outfit described by my friend as Olsen twin-ish, she delivered a big show. She impressed the room right away by playing her biggest "hit" Dance Dance Dance right off the bat. Normally new acts save the big guns for the end of their shows. That tune definitely set the tone for the rest of the night as she didn't stop dancing the rest of the way with a ton of hair whipping thrown in for good measure. She seemed to be channeling a Stevie Nicks vibe and it was working for her. Other standout songs were Complaint Department, Breaking It Up and a wicked cover of Knocked Up by Kings of Leon. But my highlight of the night was in the encore when she asked for (and received) some crowd participation for Lou Reed's Walk on the Wildside before flipping it into Can I Kick It? by A Tribe Called Quest! Awesome. For some clips of the show click here.
So YAY to you Lykke Li. Next time you're in town, we should go out for Swedish Meatballs at Ikea. My treat.

No comments:
Post a Comment