Thursday, February 19, 2009

NAY to the hopeless Rogers Wireless guy

So this advertising campaign started out harmless enough. Geeky guy ditches a call because he can't get cell phone reception in an elevator then stares in slow-mo amazement while pretty boy's cell phone remains peachy keen for the whole ride. Key message: Rogers has the most reliable network. Fine. I get it. I may not believe it thanks to some horror stories from friends and family, but I get it.

The problem is the agency thought this one concept had enough legs to be a full campaign. The genius followup? On an escalator of course! Then Nerdo was beat out for playoff tickets by Captain Haircut's faster wireless internet access on a ferry boat. Now the latest spot has the poor bastard trapped in the rain after stepping outside to get better reception for a business call while Mr. Marvelous is just fine indoors. How many times does this guy have to be completely emasculated before he (A) breaks down and switches carriers or (B) ends his own life? And since when does a geeky guy know less about technology than a pretty boy? It's a stereotype for a reason ... that just doesn't happen.

So NAY to you hopeless Rogers Wireless guy. You're an embarrassment to geeks everywhere and you're creepy as hell. Quit staring and get yourself a new gig before I start a Facebook Group about how pathetic you are.

3 comments:

  1. Not only is the geek to helpless for words, but the "good guy" in these ads comes off as such a huge douche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are confusing geek with dork. this guy comes off as plain stupid (getting locked outside in the rain, getting caught staring at some cute guy....), so yes, the dork doesn't know more about technology is totally believable...

    glenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh, and here I thought the whole campaign was a metaphor for unrequited gay love!

    ReplyDelete