
Let me say first off that Valentine's Day isn't terrible. I actually like the concept of it. I'm not some bitter heartless bastard that wants everyone on the planet to be emotionless robots. I just don't agree with what the day has become thanks to Hollywood and Hallmark. It sure ain't what it used to be folks.
When you're a kid, it's about love and kindness. You love your family, your pet(s), and maybe a teddy bear or two. You know you're loved back because you hear the words all the time and your sandwich is cut in the shape of a heart. It's simple. You're kind to teachers, friends and even the kid in your class who eats paste. Sure you'll save the best paper punched out valentine for that girl you have a crush on, but you give one to everyone. Mailboxes are full and smiles are everywhere. It's a pretty awesome day.
When you're an adult, it's about love and commerce. Hopefully you still love your family and your new pet(s). If you're single, hopefully you love yourself enough (mind out of the gutter people) that you don't feel bad about not being invited to this little holiday. If you have a special lady in your life, hopefully you love her too, but now you'd sure as hell better show it. Even if your relationship is cool and you let her know how much you care all the time, she's expected to have a story to share with her friends and family. If it doesn't include jewellery, flowers, chocolates, poetry/song, candles, dinner and a ride on a unicorn ... you have failed. Everyday kindness doesn't make for a stellar story, but I'm disappointed that it's not included in the Valentine's Day equation anymore.
So NAY to you Valentine's Day. You've sold out. I should call Child Services on you for forcing a winged baby to promote your business. That's just friggin' weird.

Damn. I knew I should have asked my husband for the unicorn ride instead of flowers.
ReplyDelete