I enjoy listening to Brit-pop like Blur, Oasis, and The Stone Roses as much as the next guy or gal. I also have a pretty high tolerance for faux-British Vespa-riding hipsters chatting it up using terribly fake accents that are 10 times more pretentious than Madonna's. So I have no problem with going to Mod Club for a fun night out ... but my main reason for going there is because it's a pretty great venue to see a concert. That was the case on Saturday when I caught the Junior Boys show. It was a solid set with an excited crowd and great energy. The only problem was they were forced to hit the stage at 8:40 and chased off the stage without an encore at 9:50 because the club wanted to clear the room and pad their coffers with their big weekly dance party at 10. A great live band with worldwide credibility had to play second fiddle to a run-of-the-mill DJ. What a joke. I was lucky enough to have phoned ahead to discover the early start time, but others were left dumbfounded when they arrived at 10 with tickets in hand and saw the crowd streaming out the door. Not a great way to treat concert-goers if you want them to keep coming back.
I realize times are tough. The economy is scary. I understand that hairspray is expensive and Mod Club's founder Mark Holmes is probably addicted to huffing it thanks to his glory days in Platinum Blonde. I don't care what the reason is. It's greedy. Not to mention it's disrespectful to the band and the fans that have paid to see the show. If they want to be the biggest party spot on Saturday night that's cool ... but they can't have their cake and eat it too.
So NAY to you Mod Club. To quote your founder/wanker - " 'ave summa this". Only when I say "this", I'm emphatically grabbing my crotch.

No comments:
Post a Comment