These good ol' Hamilton boys have made quite a name for themselves around the world ... except for Hamilton. What can I say? Electronic/Indie music isn't really on the radar in my city. Most folks in The Hammer tend to fall more on the Classic Rock and Country side of the music spectrum. If they don't have tears in their beers, they're shotgunning cans of Lakeport and throwing horns in the sky. That's just the way they roll. But I digress.Junior Boys first caught my attention with their excellent 2006 album So This Is Goodbye. Particularly a track called In The Morning. The sexy groove and catchy vocals had me hooked immediately. The rest of the album did not disappoint. Since then it's been a regular in my iPod rotation and remains one of my top picks for party background music. Needless to say I've been looking forward to catching their live show for quite a while now. With no hometown date in sight, I was off to T.O. to see these boys.
Even though they were crammed into an early (8:30) set time by greedy club owners, they put on a great show. The live vocals impressed me even more than their crisp studio counterparts. The keyboards were solid. The live drummer really added some weight to the songs. It was a solid set with a few oldies, a lot of So This Is Goodbye material and a couple of new tracks off the upcoming album including one standout that I didn't catch the name of. The band wanted to play longer and unfortunately didn't even have time for an encore thanks to the dollar signs dancing in the heads of the Mod Club owners who insisted on clearing out us concert kids in time for those all important club goers (I feel a NAY coming on). Oh well. Still a great show.
So YAY to you Junior Boys. I'm proud you're from Hamilton and I will continue to spread the word even though I cringe at what sites may pop up every time I type your name into Google.

No comments:
Post a Comment